Valley Bible Fellowship was founded in the late 1960′s at the encouragement of Ray Stedman and the other elders of Peninsula Bible Church in Palo Alto, Ca. Dozens of Christians with hungry hearts began meeting in a home for expository Bible teaching, prayer and mutual encouragment under the leadership of pastor Earl Peterman. After overflowing that home in the early ’70′s VBF moved into a larger facility. In the late ’70′s we moved to yet a larger facility… Services, offices and classrooms are now in The Live Oak, downtown Boonville, at 14251 Hwy 128, just opposite the Mendocino County Fair Grounds offices.
- A Christ honoring and loving church. We aim to place Him first in all we do and we believe that means loving and caring for one another in practical and meaningful ways. Folks who drop in to join us for servies often remark that the love and humility of Jesus is real to and amongst us, and for this we are thankful to our heavenly Father.
- A Bible teaching church. We teach using the expository, verse-by-verse approach, from a literal, historical, grammatical interpretive method. We hold the doctrines of Scripture as intensely precious and close to our hearts. The Lord’s Word deserves to be taught, learned and and applied to our lives in obedience, with all seriousness, energy and joy.
- A warm and welcoming church. VBF is truly people from all backgrounds and ages. Our children’s Sunday school is very active. You will enjoy a warm, personable and friendly welcome when you attend our services.
- A serving church. We encourage one another to become involved in various serving ministries both in and out of the church. Everyone wears several hats!
- An independent Bible church. Bible Church: This means that we earnestly apply ourselves to honor the Scriptures as our final authority for faith and practice, known as – sola scriptura. We do affirm (and sometimes recite) the ancient creeds of Christianity as accurate summaries of key Biblical truths. Independent: This means we are independent of outside denominational and ecclesiastical authority. However, we are not an island to ourselves! We regularly cooperate, fellowship and serve with other church congregations of “like precious faith.” We encourage and actively support attendance at seminaries, Bible colleges, conferences and spiritual retreats.
- Focus on our identification with the glorified Jesus Christ. Our teaching and living focuses on the foundational truths of our identification with, and position in the ascended and glorified Jesus Christ. With Him we were crucified … died… were buried… raised… ascended… and are seated with Christ Jesus in the heavenlies.
- Dispensational in our eschatology, holding a special place in our heart both for the body of Christ and bright hope for a spiritual future for the people of Israel, and we hold to the doctrines of God’s sovereignty and grace.
- A Biblically shepherded church. We follow the Biblical pattern of church leadership and are pastored and led by a body of co-equal undershephers/elders, (with no “senior” pastor) each carrying out his ministries under the authority of Christ and submitting to one another in humility. This Biblical team approach brings greater balance, encouragement and correction to the church leadership. Men who are qualified according to 1 Tim 3, and Titus 1, etc, are eligible to become pastors.
- Ever learning and growing.
“Grace and peace be yours in abundance through the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord. His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.” …II Peter 1:2-3.
Because God’s mercy and grace to his children are the zenith of his glory, our free enjoyment in faith of the benefits of that mercy and grace both honors and glorifies God. The faith that glorifies God is happy, self-abandoned trust. Joy in God is essential to honoring God.
Via Salutis – The way of salvation is…
Sola Gratia – by grace alone,
Sola Fide – through faith alone,
Sola Christo – in Christ alone.
Soli Deo Gloria – To God alone the glory!